The Life of Christ, Book 2
- Analyses the first year of the ministry of Jesus (Year of Preparation).
- Emphasises the preaching of John the Baptist, the repentance and the spiritual fruit.
- Explains the main characteristics of the Pharisees and Saducees, the Sanhedrin, etc.
- The baptism of Jesus introduces the doctrines of the Trinity and the attributes of God.
- The temptation of Jesus is the basis for looking at the inspiration of the Bible and a reflection on materialism, pride and violence in contemporary life.
- Presents the concepts of “synoptic” and “chronological” and uses the technique of comparison to unite Matthew with the rest of the “synoptics” and John.
- Emphasises the extensive use of prophecy in Matthew. Teaches about the creed, the confession of sin and the use of symbols and examples in preaching.
1A The Preaching of John the Baptist Matthew 3:1–12
1B The Pharisees and the Sadducees
MSTEE Practical Work: self-evaluation in relation to spiritual growth—repentance in practice
2A Confessing our Sins
2B Using the Bible in Confession
MSTEE Practical Work: Using God’s Word in confession
3A Luke’s Gospel and the Year of Preparation
3B John’s Gospel and the Year of Preparation
MSTEE Practical Work: Active listening
4A The Baptism of Jesus—Matthew 3:13–17
4B The Trinity
MSTEE Practical Work: Active listening continued
5A The Trinity and the Apostles’ Creed
5B The Attributes of God
MSTEE Practical Work: Active listening concluded
6A Jesus Christ Tempted as Son of God—Matthew 4:1–7
6B Jesus Christ Tempted as Son of Man—Matthew 4:1–11
MSTEE Practical Work: Resisting temptation
7A Jesus’ Use of the Scriptures
7B The Inspiration of the Bible: Its Unity
MSTEE Practical Work: An Evaluation of daily ‘Quiet Time’/Bible Reading habits. Bible Journaling
8A The Inspiration of the Bible: Its Fulfilment
8B The Inspiration of the Bible: External Evidence
MSTEE Practical Work: Giving others reasons for believing the Bible is inspired by God.
9A Jesus and Nicodemus
9B Jesus and the Samaritan Woman
MSTEE Practical Work: Sharing the Good News—1
10A How to Lead Others to Christ
10B The Year of Preparation—Revision
MSTEE Practical Work: Sharing the Good News—2